Guide to get to Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos is one of the main tourist destinations in the Riviera Maya, a quiet place with a relaxed atmosphere that has managed to grow while preserving that charming character typical of small fishing villages. This is our ultimate guide to get to Puerto Morelos from Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
Where is Puerto Morelos?
Estimated times by car from Puerto Morelos
- To Puerto Morelos beach from the Colonia Side – 5 min approx. – 4 km
- To Cancun – 35 min approx. – 35 km
- To Cancun airport – 20 min approx. – 25 km
- To Isla Mujeres – 1:00 hour approximately (including 15 minutes of crossing by boat from Puerto Juárez) – 56 km.
- To Mérida – 3 hrs. approx – 289 km.
- To Tulum – 2 hrs. approx – 95 km.
- To Playa del Carmen – 30 min. approx – 32 km.
- To Valladolid – 2 and a half hrs. approx – 178 km.
- To Holbox – 2 and a half-3 hrs. approx – 156 km.
- To Bacalar – Around 4 hours – 312 km.
- To Chichén Itzá – 2 and a half hrs. approx. – 182 km
- To Xcaret – 45 min approx. – 46k km
How to get to Puerto Morelos?
Close to more touristy Cancún and Playa del Carmen, Puerto Morelos is a balcony to the Caribbean Sea that has a unique personality, a quiet place that allows you to connect with nature and with simplicity while enjoying the welcoming character of its people. Following this guide to get to Puerto Morelos, it will be easy to travel to Puerto Morelos. There are several options:
From Cancun Airport: From Cancún airport there is no direct bus. Buses to Puerto Morelos leave from Downtown Cancún Bus Terminal. You can get there from the airport by taxi or the ADO bus to the downtown Cancun terminal (Pino lt 1 and 2 over block 23) which costs $ 86 Mexican pesos or 4.5 USD.
Bus from Cancun: The Playa Express van to Puerto Morelos has its stop opposite the Cancún ADO Terminal Station and costs $ 28 or 1.5 USD (Fare January 2022). The transfer takes around 35 minutes. The best option is ADO for comfort, security and time.
Taxi: If you can afford a taxi (the priciest option), use a safe taxi site. You can hire a taxi for U$S 120 for up to 4 passengers. It takes about 30 minutes. Important Note: Agree on the fare with the driver or the transport company before boarding the taxi. Make sure you find and contact a reliable taxi driver.
Car: If you rent a car and you are getting to know the Riviera, Puerto Morelos is only 25 minutes from Cancun.
Colectivo from Cancun or Playa del Carmen: Playa Express is a private van/bus company. The units are identifiable by the company name in green on the windshield. A similar company is Transportes Foráneos with all white vans/buses. Both companies make stops along the highway between Cancún and Playa del Carmen. Tell the driver where you go when you get on the van. He will tell you where and when to get off. Drivers are always friendly and provide good service. Bear in mind, however, they drop passengers off on their route, they do not go to hotels but will drop you off at the stop closest to your destination. In Puerto Morelos, hotels tend to be quite far from the closest highway stop. We highly recommend our contracted transportation, which will take you to the door of the hotel of your choice.
Private transportation: The utmost recommended means of transportation to get to Puerto Morelos, be it from Downtown Cancún or Cancún Airport, is the Private Transportation Service. This is an exclusive service for you and your fellow travelers, large enough to accommodate your luggage and baby seats for small children, with door-to-door service. Choosing this personalized service will cost you less than a taxi.
How to get around Puerto Morelos?
Colectivo: There are 2 Colectivo routes that pass by the Main Square regularly until 10 PM. The fare is 10 pesos per person. There are no formal bus stops. The driver will stop at your wave and drop you off where you require. These local Colectivos take you to the port, beach area, the main shopping and restaurant sites in La Colonia, banks, and the ADO Terminal in Puerto Morelos.
Taxi: There are several taxi centrals around La Colonia and one at the Main Square. A taxi from one of these stops charges 30 pesos for up to 4 passengers, and 35 pesos if you request them to pick you up at another location by phone or WhatsApp. If you choose the latter, contact a reliable taxi driver.
Rent a bike: The town of Puerto Morelos is small and flat, which makes it ideal to get around on a bike. You will find many places to rent a bike, sometimes even at hotels and hostels.
Frequently asked questions
How much is a taxi from Cancun to Puerto Morelos?
The quickest way to get from Puerto Morelos to Cancun Airport (CUN) is by taxi which costs 360 pesos MXN – 440 pesos MXN and takes 26 min.
How much is a taxi from Playa del Carmen to Puerto Morelos?
The quickest way to get from Playa del Carmen to Puerto Morelos is in taxi which costs $ 240 – $ 300 and takes 30 min.
Tips to travel to Puerto Morelos
– To get to Puerto Morelos, the easiest way is to catch a van or bus from the ADO bus terminal or any other option from this Guide to Get to Puerto Morelos.
– The best time to visit Puerto Morelos is from November to February, when no sargazo reaches the beach. The rainy season is June-October. If your travel date is in the rainy season, come prepared.
– There is an assortment of accommodations for all budgets and tastes, from hostels and B&Bs, to villas, boutique hotels, and all-inclusive ones. For a more pleasant trip we recommend finding one that has a spa.
– Spend a day on the beach, swim in our calm Caribbean waters (the reef protects us from waves), sunbathe (for less than an hour to prevent sunburnt) and enjoy the warm breeze and your favorite drink.
– There are pet-friendly beaches where you can take your pet, on a leash, and with a responsible owner, of course.
– There are many activities to do in Puerto Morelos, so budget your time taking into account the activities you prefer and the length of your stay. Choose your adventures carefully. Whatever you do in Puerto Morelos, the magic of this place will certainly charm you to come back.
– Some attractions of the Riviera Maya to include in your list are the cenotes, the ecological parks, and the zoo. Feel like an explorer in the jungle and choose the adventures that you like best.
– Choose one of the many cenotes around Puerto Morelos. We assure you that visiting one will be a memorable and pleasant experience.
– Fried fish, ceviche, and in general all seafood is the typical local food of this traditional fishing village that you cannot leave without trying.
– Take your pic at the Leaning Lighthouse. It has had its present posture for many years, which has made it the emblem of the city and its most well-known landmark.
– Nightlife is very tropical and quiet, but if you want a more urban party-like atmosphere, go to Playa del Carmen or to a nearby hotel with a night club.
– Go fishing or spearfishing in Playa del Carmen! If you have never done it, this is the chance of a lifetime. Ask the tour providers and go on the tour that best suits your fancy.
– For shopping, Puerto Morelos has lower prices compared with Playa del Carmen and Cancun. However, it is always a matter of knowing how to find good merchants that offer the best prices
– Look for places where they practice “Reiki”- a Japanese form of energy healing that will help you feel like a new person.
– We highly recommend cycling, horseback riding, ATV, and boating. Have fun! You are in paradise.
– Enjoy, relax, let yourself get carried away by the peaceful atmosphere of a fishing village that warmly welcomes tourists and imprints magic forever memories of your stay in the Caribbean.
Guide to get to Puerto Morelos
An unparalleled place to live and vacation, filled with mexican traditions, colors, and flavors typical of the region.
Puerto Morelos is one of the oldest communities on Mexico’s Caribbean coast. Today, the town is known for its National Marine Park, which is part of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef. Puerto Morelos is located on the Caribbean side of the Yucatan peninsula, on the northern edge of the Riviera Maya, conveniently located between the 2 bustling tourist cities of Cancún and Playa del Carmen and just 20 minutes from Cancún International Airport.
Puerto Morelos is where the reef runs the closest to land along the Mayan Riviera. This creates very quiet and calm waters. The white-sand beach that stretches along the entire town is very wide and spacious. The sea water in Puerto Morelos has of course the turquoise color characteristic of the Caribbean. It is a small town, with a friendly, laid-back atmosphere where you can still see fishermen come onto the main pier with their daily catch every afternoon.
Puerto Morelos location gives you the opportunity to discover many different treasures of México and offers a wide range of activities for everyone. For a memorable and unique experience, visit one of the extraordinary nearby cenotes on the “Ruta de los Cenotes”, sinkholes and caverns with crystal clear fresh water. The other“must do”activities in Puerto Morelos are reef snorkeling tours, fishing tours, scuba diving, and swimming in cenotes. There is also a Botanical Garden and the Crococun Zoo where you can enjoy the flora and fauna of the region. You will also find salsa dancing classes, yoga classes or retreats. You can rent bicycles or simply chill on the beach and enjoy Caribbean vibes.
Everything you need to make your vacation memorable can be found in Puerto Morelos.